Monday, April 14, 2014

Honesty Is Alive And Well

I have always taught my children the difference between right and wrong. After many Sundays in Sunday School followed by a Spirit filled church service, I would like to believe that when it comes down to it and they are presented with a choice to tell the truth or a lie that they would choose to tell the truth.

Today when I was in Sam's Club a scene played out in front of my like an after school movie. My husband and I were standing in line and we saw the man in front of us drop some money. There was a teenager in front of him standing next to a friend and the friend thought his friend dropped it. So here we have 2 people going back and forth telling the other one that they dropped it. It was the most selfless act I have seen in a long time. Finally the man in front of us insists that the teenager takes the money, so the teen takes it and steps to the side to wait for his food.  As we order our food, I glanced to the side and saw the teenager counting his money. A few minutes later he came back and told the man that the money did not belong to him and that it belonged to the man. This really touched my heart. My husband and I knew all along who the money belonged to because we had a birds eye view when we were standing behind both of them.  This gesture may seem small to you, but to me it really restored a portion of my faith in humanity. It's nice to know that parents are still teaching their kids honesty and integrity in a world where people are becoming more self absorbed and looking out for themselves more than ever before.  Even though the teen could have kept the money for himself he chose to do the right thing and I think the feeling of being an honest person will pay much more over time than a few extra bucks in his pocket. At the end of the day, honesty really is the best policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment