Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
2- 15oz cans of mackerel ( I only use Sunny Sea)
3 large eggs
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Heat about a quarter of an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
2. Pour both cans of mackerel in a large mixing bowl and smash the mackerels with your hands until fine.
3. Add in all 3 eggs and continue to mix by hand.
4. Chop and mix in one onion. (I personally only use 1/2 but grandma uses a whole onion)
5. Add in corn meal, flour and baking powder and mix it all in using your hand.
6. Mixture will be a bit runny, but take a good size blob ( about 1/4 cup) and form it into a patty and let
it slide off your fingers into the grease.
7. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown, and flip using a slotted spatula.
8. Cook the other side for 2 minutes as well, and drain on newspaper, napkins, or paper towels.
Serve with your favorite condiments. I like Hot Sauce, but my kids prefer tartar sauce.